The Top 10 Wellness Travel Locations
TripAdvisor has named the top 10 wellness travel locations in the U.S. We share our insider tips to help you get the most out of these wonderful wellness destinations.
Need to step away from the stress of your life to find some balance? Take a visit to these top 10 wellness destinations and you’ll be feeling relaxed and renewed. TripAdvisor recently identified the best zen locations for travelers to focus on their well-being. These destinations provide experiences like yoga, meditation, self-care and healthy cuisine.
"For travelers looking to improve their spiritual or physical health, or just an escape for digital detox, these destinations offer a wide variety of peaceful accommodations and experiences to revitalize the soul," says Brooke Ferencsik, Senior Director of Communications for TripAdvisor. Get centered with these 10 best U.S. wellness destinations!
Top 10 Wellness Destinations in the United States According to TripAdvisor
1. Sedona, Arizona
Sedona is a true oasis, a wellness-seeker's paradise in the middle of the Arizona desert where travelers will find resorts and spas, canyons and red rock formations. Bell Rock and Oak Creek Canyon are great hiking spots, and the dramatic architecture of the Chapel of the Holy Cross is a religious experience in itself.
· Spa Hotel: Adobe Grand Villas – from $339 per night on TripAdvisor
· Wellness Experience: Sedona Soul Tour – from $165 per person on TripAdvisor
· Healthy Restaurant: Paleo Brio Healthy Kitchen
Our Insider’s Tip: Sedona is known for its vortexes that provide powerful energy forces and transformational energy. Popular Sedona vortexes include Airport Mesa, Bell Rock, Boynton Canyon and Cathedral Rock. Visit these vortexes for a unique and transformative spiritual experience.
2. Hawley, Pennsylvania
Hawley is home to a number of notable lakes, making it a peaceful summer leisure destination for self-reflection. Whether yogis are looking to connect with nature on a horseback riding trail or book luxurious treatments at The Lodge at Woodloch Spa, a wellness trip to Hawley will leave them feeling at ease.
· Spa Hotel: The Lodge at Woodloch – from $778 per night on TripAdvisor
· Wellness Experience: Take a wildlife boat tour at Lake Wallenpaupack
· Healthy Restaurant: TREE Restaurant and Bar
Our Insider’s Tip: Borrow a bike! Enjoy the Hawley’s scenic biking trails free of charge thanks to Hawley BikeShare, which loans out bikes free of charge at four convenient locations.
Our Hawley Spa Pick: The Lodge at Woodloch Spa
3. Ojai, California
Nestled in a picturesque valley northwest of Los Angeles, Ojai is brimming with small town charm and creativity. Travelers can get lost in locally-owned boutiques, explore outdoor trails and enjoy horseback riding, mountain biking, rock climbing and hiking. Surrounded by scenic hills and aromatic orchards, Ojai is the perfect place for a rejuvenating retreat.
· Wellness Experience: Shop local ingredients from Ojai Certified Farmers' Market
· Healthy Restaurant: Food Harmonics
Our Insider’s Tip: Be sure to catch the "Pink Moment." This magical moment occurs when the sky in Ojai takes on a beautiful soft pink color around dusk.
Amelia Island is a timeless destination known for its pristine nature, uncrowded beaches, and outstanding spas and restaurants. Travelers can choose to unwind seaside with a kayak excursion or beachside on a horseback ride—or by finding the freshest, healthiest ingredients at the local Farmer's Market.
· Spa Hotel: The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island – from $489 per night on TripAdvisor
· Wellness Experience: Self-Guided Kayak Tour of Amelia Island – from $35 per person on TripAdvisor
· Healthy Restaurant: Burlingame Restaurant
Our Insider’s Tip: If you love shrimp, visit in May for the Isle of Eight Flags Shrimp Festival! Fernandina Beach is the birthplace of the modern shrimping industry and this beloved celebration is a fun-filled event where delicious locally-caught shrimp is served in the beautiful historic district.
5. Calistoga, California
This renowned spa retreat is built around natural springs in the middle of wine country. Area resorts began promoting geo-thermal water and mud baths more than 150 years ago. Travelers seeking a pathway to wellness can also hike picturesque trails at Bothe-Napa State Park or the Petrified Forest, then reward themselves by tasting the local flavors of nearby Napa.
· Spa Hotel: Solage, an Auberge Resort – from $670 per night on TripAdvisor
· Wellness Experience: Full-Day Wine Country Bike and Wine Tasting Tour From Calistoga – from $159 per person on TripAdvisor
· Healthy Restaurant: Solbar at Solage Calistoga
Our Insider’s Tip: Don’t miss the Calistoga mud baths, which incorporate the area’s naturally occurring volcanic ash and hot springs. One of the most famous mud baths can be found at Dr. Wilkinson’s Hot Springs Resort, a family-run spa that was founded in 1952.
6. Lenox, Massachusetts
This small town in the Berkshires has been a popular wellness retreat since the 19th century. Travelers can enjoy rejuvenating treatments and pampering at the well-known Cranwell Spa all year long, along with outdoor picnics, hiking and biking paths in the Pleasant Valley.
· Spa Hotel: Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort – from $179 per night on TripAdvisor
· Wellness Experience: Hike the wildlife sanctuary at Pleasant Valley Sanctuary
· Healthy Restaurant: Alta Restaurant & Wine Bar
Our Insider’s Tip: For a peaceful hike or walk in nature, visit Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary. You’ll enjoy beautiful views, forests, wetlands, and spotting wildlife residents in 1000 acres of wilderness.
7. Palm Springs, California
With 354 days of sunshine per year, Palm Springs is the ideal place to soak up some rays among natural colors, saturated by the warm desert light. Travelers can relax poolside, visit one of the many spas, or tour fantastic examples of mid-century modern architecture.
· Spa Hotel: Andreas Hotel & Spa – from $145 per night on TripAdvisor
· Wellness Experience: Indian Canyons by Jeep plus Hiking Tour from Palm Springs – from $139 per person on TripAdvisor
· Healthy Restaurant: Palm Greens Cafe
Our Insider’s Tip: Palm Springs is home to beautiful desert hiking trails. For a six-mile hike, try Palm Canyon Trail to the Stone Pools, where you’ll enjoy waterfalls and breathtaking cliffs. After the hike, chill out with a massage or grab a drink at the Tonga Hut, a retro tiki bar with island-inspired drinks.
8. Park City, Utah
A trip to Park City is perfect for wellness-seekers looking to rejuvenate at one of the area's world-class spas. Over 100 restaurants and bars, open-air concerts, numerous health clubs and independent film screenings complement Park City's rugged beauty.
· Spa Hotel: Westgate Park City Resort & Spa – from $186 per night on TripAdvisor
· Wellness Experience: Stroll the scenic Union Pacific Rail Trail
· Healthy Restaurant: Vessel Kitchen
Our Insider’s Tip: For fabulous skiing visit Deer Valley Resort, Park City Mountain Resort and Sundance Mountain Resort. After a long day of skiing, you’ll be ready to unwind with a massage or nice hot chocolate at Ritual Chocolate, which handcrafts small batch, bean-to-bar chocolate.
9. Stowe, Vermont
Travelers can hike, paddle, bike or walk while enjoying scenic mountain views of Mount Mansfield in this northern Vermont town. Stowe is the perfect place to plan a calming retreat with family and friends, and to be one with nature.
· Spa Hotel: Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa – from $191 per night on TripAdvisor
· Wellness Experience: Bike the Stowe Recreation Path
· Healthy Restaurant: Plate
Our Insider’s Tip: Hot air balloons fill the sky in July (July 6-8, 2018) for the Stoweflake Hot Air Balloon festival. Enjoy breathtaking views from a hot air balloon ride or sit back and relax with a glass of wine while you take in the festive activities from the comfort of the ground.
10. Wailea, Hawaii
If being pampered is the most strenuous activity on your itinerary, then Wailea is your ideal destination. With one of Maui's best beaches at Keawakapu offering endless opportunities for stand-up paddle boarding and snorkeling as well as top spas, visitors will have every opportunity to experience ultimate serenity and renewal.
· Spa Hotel: Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea – from $739 per night on TripAdvisor
· Wellness Experience: Private 2-Hour Beginner Paddleboarding 101 from Maui – from $139 per person on TripAdvisor
· Healthy Restaurant: Choice Health Bar
Insider’s Tip: For a unique snorkeling adventure, take a snorkeling tour to Molokini Crater, a partially submerged, volcanic crater. It’s one of the few volcano islets in the world. If your goal is to see sea turtles, check out Turtle Town in South Maui, which is home to a large population of Hawaiian green sea turtles.