The Benefits of Dry Brushing Your Body
Dry brushing is not only a great way to exfoliate dead skin and reduce ingrown hairs, but many spa professionals swear by its detox benefits. The practice of brushing the skin daily can be invaluable when it comes to detoxing. Danielle Conte, ardent yogi and founder of Conscious Coconut, says that dry brushing is like a shot of espresso for your body. In order to get the maximum benefit, Conte recommends dry brushing in the morning rather than before bed to capitalize on the practice’s energizing qualities. She also recommends using coconut oil while dry brushing to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
How to Dry Brush
1. After a hot shower while the pores are still open, apply coconut oil. Conte recommends 100 percent organic Conscious Coconut Oil for this.
2. Choose a brush with medium soft bristles for gentleness. "We don’t want to break the skin," explains Conte.
3. Start at your feet and brush upward towards the heart. The chest area is where the lymph system drains.
4. When you start on your arms, begin at the hands and work upward. Use firm, small strokes upwards or work in a circular motion.
5. For the stomach, work in a counterclockwise pattern. Harsh exfoliation is never the point; be sure not to press too hard or use too stiff of a brush.
Spa experts say dry brushing has these 6 benefits:
• Removes dead skin cells
• Stimulates the lymph nodes
• Improves digestion
• Improves the appearance of cellulite
• Helps the body remove waste in general
• Helps eliminate clogged pores
Meet Danielle Conte:
Following a career in investment banking, Danielle Conti headed to Bali in search of happiness, balance, and to catch up on years of sleep. For more than a year, she taught English and computer skills to Balinese children, traveled throughout Southeast Asia, dove into Buddhism, and practiced yoga and meditation. Conti was enthralled by the abundance of love and positive energy of the Balinese people—despite their modest means and more than often dire living circumstances.
“Coconut oil is a huge part of daily wellness and I unconsciously became quite the coconut fan," says Conti. "Returning home I had yet to find my divine purpose, but I was even more inspired to start something to help those in need. After a few months, my friends said, 'If you’re going to talk about coconut oil so much, why don’t you sell it?' And here we are today. I believe when our ambitions are aligned with our greater spiritual purpose, we can achieve anything. And I’ve always felt that kindest thing you can do is give a child a meal—and this is the foundation of which all is built.”
[Images courtesy of Conscious Coconut]