5 Tips for At-Home Waxing
If you’re tired of shaving and want longer-lasting results, waxing is one of the most efficient ways to remove unwanted hair. And with just a little bit of practice, you can master the art of at-home waxing. We consulted Wakse aesthetician Shay Sadr, who shared five easy at-home tips for waxing:
1. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! This is the key for a good waxing result. I recommend exfoliating 24-48 hrs before waxing and 48hrs after waxing. Ideally 3-4 times each week, and for the face 1-2 times a week.
2. For larger areas of the body such as legs, arms, and the bikini area, have your wax warmer ready. Once the wax is at a honey-like consistency, apply the wax in the direction of the hair growth. Don't be scared to go a second time for a clean-up, especially with hard wax, and be sure to create a half circle at the end of your application for easy wax removal.
3. For terminal hair (aka thicker and coarse hair), use thicker strips and apply a lot of pressure. This could be areas such as legs, arms, and the bikini area. But for vellus hair (thinner hair) use thinner strips—these areas include spots such as cheeks, back of the ear, and lips.
4. Take your time and section the areas that you're waxing evenly. If you're waxing your full face, start with sideburn to checks, chin, then lower and upper lips, and the eyebrows and hair line last. To ensure an even result, I love using the Wakse Reusable Melting Pot for my full face because it keeps the temperature just right!
5. Clean as you go, make sure to have cornstarch powder (preferably talc-free), and a good pre-waxing cleanser. I prefer and recommend alcohol-free cleanser, and last but not least, a post-waxing serum. Using serums with organic and high-quality ingredients will soothe and reduce inflammation after waxing. These steps are very crucial when it comes to waxing and you don't want to skip them.
To make at-home waxing more enjoyable, Cosmic Candy—Wakse’s exclusive collaboration with Ulta—features iridescent pink and blue wax beans inspired by cotton candy and the Milky Way Galaxy. The cruelty-free, vegan waxing beans are scented like cotton candy, and are available for purchase on Wakse’s website and Ulta. Follow them on Instagram: @wakse_official
[Product image courtesy of Waksē]
Kamala Kirk is a University of Southern California graduate and has been an editor/writer for more than a decade. She has written for E! Online, Total Beauty, TravelAge West, Malibu Times Magazine, and many more. She resides in Los Angeles and is a proud pug mom. Follow her on Instagram: @kamalakirk